Friday, November 5, 2010

Second Draft

Is it possible to write a play and not realize the theme until it's completed?

It'd say emphatically....yes.

Writing "Public Displays" was a unique process for me. Or I should say, it continues to be a unique process.

Until the first draft was done, I didn't recognize that so much of the play was about healing. Greta is a psychiatrist, Justine is a physical therapist. Greta and Isaac have accidents and physically heal over the course of the play. Many of the characters heal emotionally, some resist coming to terms with what they need to do to heal.

Becoming aware of this theme and wanting to expand upon it meant a scene was deleted and three new scenes were added in the second draft.

Almost all the scenes were trimmed, edited, re-shaped and now....I await the first read-thru tomorrow and see how I feel about it all then.

No comments:

Post a Comment